Saturday, July 26, 2008

Egypt gets New License Plates Aug 1, 2008

I knew about the new traffic law coming into effect Aug 1, but did not know about the new license plates. I found a few interesting new blogs on this subject with pictures (see at end of post).

One comment is new cars registrations would have to wait till Aug 1st, and the blog was posted in May. Does this mean a huge rush for new car registration first week of August? But existing car owners can wait until they need to renew, or apply for a new one if they so chose. I need to get rid of the crumpled ones they gave me when I registered.

Also says traffic department people will fix the plates as new system that guards against theft removal? I can envision the waiting period to register has just gone up 5 fold. One stat I read was between 80,000 to 90,000 cars are registered each year - I assume that is renewals and new registrations. But, other stats read 26 million cars on the roads throughout Egypt.

I also did not know that different governorates duplicate numbers. Maybe this is why the poor old lady we saw in line to pay fines had 3000 LE on her record, but was telling officer the car has been in garage since her husband died 3 years before, so how could she have these fines? Could it be another car from different governorates, or counterfeit plates. I have never seen an officer check my car ID against the license plate!!!!

Will Egypt have and auction and bid for special numbers? Not likley as best might go for 10 LE but not so in emirates auction where top number went for $14 million dollars

Interesting blogs:

http://infliktora.blogspot.com/2008/05/finally-new-car-license-plates-in-egypt.html

http://egyptianstories.blogspot.com/2008/02/new-egyptian-license-plates.html

No comments:

Post a Comment